Things are kinda crap because:
- The city of Montreal has decided that my $37 jaywalking (yes, jaywalking) ticket from last April (which I paid, by the way) is now going to actually cost me $200 more dollars because I was late on the initial payment (by 5 or 6 weeks)... or else they are taking away my driver's license. Basically, the city is a better extortionist than the mafia.
- I am extremely strapped for cash lately... I am surviving fine, but definitely reviving my old student lifestyle vis-a-vis food, fun and transportation. Lots of long walks instead of metro rides, hang-outs in people's kitchens instead of bars or restaurants and lots meals that involve rice and nearly rotten vegetables found on the sale rack at the supermarket.
- My quest for change in my life continues... but has still seen no big breaks. I was offered an office job that I didn't want (insurance industry, ugh) and went on another interview for a job that turned out to be disturbing (cubicle farm of hall monitors doing credit checks, double ugh). The D.Work seems to be taking forever to get off the ground as I get sort of dicked around by the management at the dungeon. The search for a venue/commercial space is stagnant because landlords are douchebags. I am feeling mildly discouraged.
- Speaking of landlords being douchebags, I continue to have conflict with mine. The epic saga of the kitchen sink has become positively ridiculous. Somehow this man manages to shirk his responsibilities by making it an absolute nightmare to deal with him... that way his tenants hardly bother to talk to him about problems because he is so traumatic. Basically, this is how I feel about this guy:
Yet, at the same time, things are pretty awesome because:
- Things with ML continue to be more lovely than I ever could have anticipated.
- I woke up this morning with books twisted and folded into the blankets on my bed. It made me feel like books are my secret lovers that I have to tidy up and make presentable in the morning.
- I am getting back into the groove of scheduling regular hang-outs with all the excellent folks in my life after the extreme upheaval known as traveling-christmas-newyears-january. This keeps me simultaneously grounded within my community and fills my head with fabulous ideas and projects and dreams. I feel lucky that my friends are so smart, creative and interesting.
- Having David (my roommate from the Homo and 1/2 House days) around all the time has been a true comfort these days. I've been really missing my family a lot recently and David is sort of like a brother to me, so it makes the hurt less hurtful.
- Listening to lots of Beirut and Fever Ray.
- A long lost shoe is coming back to me. This is a really great pair of shoes and the fact that I had lost one was so frustrating that I kept the other one for a whole year (!) to remind me to be more careful with my things. And now someone found the long lost shoe and is returning it to me on thursday!
- I'm performing a HUGE and EPIC number for a big burlesque show at Cafe Cleopatra this Friday and Saturday with Johnny Forever. We've been going to a lot of rehearsals and I feel stoked to be a part of this project.
- Radical Queer Semaine is coming up soon soon soon and I feel like that is going to help me re-energize and re-commit to my life.